Reports to Director of Production
The Copy Editor will be the grammatical gatekeeper for Spirit Juice Studios. They read and review videos, various scripts, and documents and check for everything from typos to nonsensical sentences to errant commas.
- Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors
- Verify the factual correctness of the information, such as dates and statistics
- Check the text for style, readability, and adherence to editorial policies
- Arrange page layouts of photos, articles, and advertisements
- Rewrite the text to improve clarity and readability
- Develop style guides to govern how content is created
- Arrange page layouts to include written content as well as elements like photos and ads
- Train new Producers, Creative Leads & Editors about the company’s content creation process
- Meet with Producer & Creative Leads to define content needs
- Fact-check all content
- Check content against a style guide, such as AP Style or Chicago Style
- Creativity: Must be curious, creative, and knowledgeable about a broad variety of topics
- Good judgment: For non-fiction pieces, copy editors must determine whether enough evidence exists to report on a story, and have a strong grasp of the ethics of certain stories
- Detail-orientation: A main task of the job is to make written work error-free, and to ensure that it matches the publication’s required style
- Interpersonal skills: Good communication and interpersonal skills help editors communicate with tact and encouragement to writers
- Writing skills: Copy editors must be able to write clearly and with good logic, and ensure that content has correct punctuation, grammar, and syntax
Spirit Juice Studios is an award-winning, Chicago-based creative production firm specializing in the transformative power of high quality visual media merged with the ever ancient, ever new beauty of Catholicism. Through the collaborative efforts of those involved with Spirit Juice Studios, the Gospel is delivered by means of a strong visual design aesthetic, coupled with the paramount components of modern technology. Both engage the eyes, ears and soul of an individual — both depend on parables and belief in the compassion of the human heart.
Employment Type: Part-Time
Salary: $21.00 – $30.00 per hour
Spirit Juice Studios is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for every person who walks through our doors. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.